Wategos Beach is one of Byron Bay’s best locations to picnic, surf, and explore this peaceful sheltered bay!
If you are looking for somewhere to perch up for the day, I can’t recommend this stunning beach enough!
I have put together this complete guide to Wategos Beach including where it is, how to get there, where to stay, and what to expect when you arrive.
WHERE IS WATEGOS BEACH BYRON BAY?
Wategos Beach is located on the northern side of Cape Byron Lighthouse. From central Byron, it’s approximately a 10-minute drive from the center of town or a 1-hour walk along the coastal boardwalk to reach Wategos.
HOW TO GET HERE
If you are heading here from the center of Byron Bay, it’s no more than a 10-minute drive. From the nearby town of Ballina, it’s approximately a 40-minute drive to reach Wategos Byron.
Search All → Car Rentals in Byron Bay
Parking is limited at Wategos Beach Byron so you may have to do a couple of laps of the parking lot before you score a park. It is metered parking that costs $4 per hour, not the cheapest but it’s worth it.
Be careful if you try to avoid not paying for parking when you visit as there are parking inspectors that will give you a nasty fine if you don’t have a valid parking ticket.
Exploring the beach
Van Life at Wategos
Idyllic scenes at Wategos
Have you got travel insurance for Australia? We all know accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance will save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
THINGS TO DO AT WATEGOS BEACH
HAVE A PICNIC AT THE BEACH
Pack a picnic, some drinks, and something to cook up on one of the free beachside barbecues and enjoy it on the beach or at a picnic table.
If you’re on the hunt for some uncrowded waves when visiting Byron Bay, this is a good pick especially if you are a longboarder.
The right-hand point break wraps around Cape Byron and be sure to keep your eyes peeled for bottlenose dolphins as they surf the incoming waves.
VISIT LITTLE WATEGOS BEACH
Follow the rocks along the southern end of the main beach and right around the bend you will find another hidden gem known as Little Wategos Beach.
This slice of paradise and it’s the most Easterly Point Of Mainland Australia. You can find some awesome little rock pools among the rocky headland on low tide.
CLIMB THE STAIRS TO CAPE BYRON LIGHTHOUSE
Another one of the best things to do is to climb the stairs to the iconic Cape Byron Lighthouse.
You can access the walking track to get to the lighthouse either from the end of the car park, or there is also a track leading up from Little Wategos.
This is one of my favorite short walks in Byron that offers amazing views up and down the coastline. Take your time on this mini trek as you will most likely spot some native Australian wildlife such as kangaroos and laughing kookaburras.
Exploring the shoreline
Cape Byron Lighthouse
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST
The coastline and hinterland areas between Byron Bay and the Gold Coast boast awesome beaches, lakes, waterfalls, hikes, and many more fun-fuelled adventures waiting to be had!
See below for other related posts in the Northern NSW region.
Broken Head Byron Bay
WHAT TO PACK FOR BYRON BAY
When visiting Byron Bay, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Australian sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – a must for drying off after a dip in the ocean or lying out on the sand.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Dry bag – protect your gadgets from any water damage while you’re at the beach.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
WHERE TO STAY IN BYRON
There are countless accommodation options to choose from in Byron Bay so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay to fit the needs of budget backpackers, luxury travelers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: The Watermark
Mid Range: Glen Villa Resort
Budget: Nomads Backpackers
BEST BYRON BAY TOURS
MORE AUSTRALIA TRAVEL GUIDES
Click on the links below to see more related posts:
- Hamilton Island: 10 Things To Do In Hamilton Island
- Agnes Water: 17 Things To Do In Agnes Water
- Yeppoon: 10 Best Beaches In Yeppoon
- Brisbane: Things To Do In Brisbane
- Gold Coast: 3 Day Gold Coast Itinerary
- Fraser Island: Fraser Island Day Trip
- Springbrook: Springbrook Waterfalls
- Byron Bay: Things To Do In Byron Bay
- Crescent Head: 9 Things To Do In Crescent Head
- Forster: 7 Things To Do In Forster
- Port Macquarie: 7 Best Beaches In Port Macquarie
- Sydney: Things To Do In Sydney
- Kiama NSW: 3 Awesome Things To Do In Kiama
- Melbourne: Things To Do In Melbourne
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions about Wategos Beach Byron Bay, please leave a comment below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.