The Instafamous Palm Tree Rope Swing on Dalawella Beach, Sri Lanka is on everyone’s bucket list and it’s easy to see why!
The palm tree rope swing on Dalawella Beach went viral very quickly on Instagram and it now attracts travelers from all over the world to get that classic sunset shot on the swing. It’s one of the best ways to end the day by swinging out into the sunset over the Indian Ocean.
I have put together this complete guide to visiting the Dalawella swing including how to get there, how much it costs, and what to expect when you arrive.
WHERE IS DALAWELLA BEACH?
Dalawella Beach is located on the southwest coastline of Sri Lanka, 130kms from Colombo.
HOW MUCH IT COSTS
The local family who owns this homestay is very inviting and friendly so don’t be a stranger and take the time to say hello and get to know them.
They allow you to use the swing for a small fee of 500 rupees, this helps them to maintain the upkeep of the rope swing. They also sell food and drinks and can give you some local knowledge of other things to do in the area.
Need a travel money card?
Wise offers multi-currency debit cards which can be used worldwide and you’ll save hundreds on transaction fees. Get your Wise card today for free!
Swinging into the sunset
BEST TOURS IN SRI LANKA
BEST TIME TO VISIT
I visited the Dalawella Beach Swing at around 5 pm in the afternoon which is the best time to enjoy the sunset and get the best ‘instafamous’ shots!
Be sure not to leave immediately after the sun disappears over the horizon, wait another 15 minutes and watch the colors of the sky become even more intensified.
RELATED ARTICLE: 2 WEEK SRI LANKA ITINERARY
Crazy colors at sunset
Have you got travel insurance for Sri Lanka? We all know accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance will save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT DALAWELLA BEACH SWING
Apart from the Dalawella Beach Swing, you can spot large turtles wading very close to shore and if you dare to look down when you’re mid-air on the swing, you can spot the turtles from above!
You can also take a short walk down the beach and witness the locals ‘stilt fishing‘ over the reef. This is an old traditional fishing method in Sri Lanka that requires much skill and balance.
It allows the fisherman to sit a couple of meters above the water causing minimal shadows and little disturbance to the sea life, in the hope they can catch their dinner. Human ingenuity at its finest!
The palm tree rope swing
WHERE TO STAY
There are hundreds of homestays, private villas, and beach resorts to choose from near Dalawella in a nearby town called Unawatuna, so I have narrowed it down to a few of the places to stay to suit the needs of budget backpackers, luxury travelers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
The best 5-star resort in Unawatuna! Thaproban Pavilion Waves offers beachfront accommodation, an outdoor swimming pool, sun terrace, a bar, billiards table, and dartboard. The rooms are modern and fitted with air-conditioning, flat-screen tv, equipped kitchen, seating area, and private bathroom. American or Asian breakfast is included.
Mid Range: La Villa
I personally stayed at La Villa and highly recommend this accommodation to anyone visiting Unawatuna. The staff are very friendly and great cooks. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned, private ensuite and free wifi is available. The staff can help you organize snorkeling trips and other activities in Unawatuna. Perfect for couples and friends traveling on a budget.
Budget: Green Gecko Hostel
The best and cheapest hostel in Unawatuna! The Green Gecko Hostel has dorm rooms available with a shared bathroom. The property has free wifi and a buffet breakfast is included for guests. Perfect place to stay for solo travelers and friends.
FOR ALL OTHER PLACES TO STAY IN UNAWATUNA, SEARCH ON AGODA OR SEARCH ON BOOKING.COM
WHAT TO PACK FOR SRI LANKA
When visiting Sri Lanka, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Sri Lanka sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – a must for drying off after a dip at the beach.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Dry bag – protect your gadgets from any water damage while you’re at the beach.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
MORE SRI LANKA TRAVEL GUIDES
- Sri Lank Travel Guide: 2 Week Sri Lanka Itinerary
- Hikkaduwa Travel Guide: 7 Things To Do In Hikkaduwa
- Unawatuna Travel Guide: 8 Things To Do In Unawatuna
- Ella Travel Guide: Best Things To Do In Ella
- Udawalawe Travel Guide: Udawalawe Safari Tour
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions about the Dalawella Beach Swing please drop me a comment below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.
PIN IT FOR LATER