Photographers are the visual historians of our time. They capture moments and memories that we will cherish forever. But in order to do so, they need a few essential accessories: a camera, lens(es), and a tripod for starters.
In this guide, you’ll discover the 9 must have camera accessories to build your perfect kit and take better photos than ever before!
WHAT ARE CAMERA ACCESSORIES?
There are plenty of different camera accessories available – from a different range of prices, sizes and complexity – made to help you improve your photography skills.
Camera accessories are basically all the equipment that helps to improve your photographs, protect your camera, make it efficient anywhere, anytime, and other things you may not think about, but that are of great importance if you want your shoots and shooting experience to be outstanding.
There are many different accessories available, so the best thing for you to do is to decide which ones best suit your needs. Below you will find some of the must-haves and why are they so important.
RELATED ARTICLE: 7 BEST CAMERAS FOR BLOGGING
9 MUST HAVE CAMERA ACCESSORIES
There are plenty of accessories that all photographers would love to have. The trick here is to make up your mind about which ones are the most desirable for you.
However, there are some must-have accessories that every photographer should own as memory cards, an external hard disk, fast prime lenses, a tripod, a remote shutter release, a power bank, UV and ND filters, extra camera batteries, and a camera backpack.
All these accessories will make your life easier at some point. Even if some of them do not seem like a must-have camera accessory, they will be crucial at specific times during your shooting experience.
MEMORY CARDS (#1 MUST-HAVE CAMERA ACCESSORY FOR TRAVELERS)
If you are thinking about which camera accessory to get first, memory cards are the ones to go for. Although some of the cameras have a memory card installed, it will not be enough to save all your images, so a memory card can be considered a must-have camera accessory without any doubt.
- It has a shot speed up to 90MB/s and a transfer speed of up to 170MB/s.
- It is perfect for shooting a 4K UHD video.
- It is considered a very resistant card – resistance to water, cold weather, shock, and other harsh conditions overall.
- It has – UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) – meaning it offers an outstanding video recording performance, which expresses a performance option that supports real-time video recording.
- It is suitable for compact to mid-range point-and-shoot cameras.
- It has ultra-fast speed – you can be able to transfer up to 875 photos in one minute.
- It has a lifetime limited manufacturer warranty.
- It includes software – RescuePRO Delux – which enables you to recover photos you have deleted by mistake.
- It offers a shot speed of up to 70MB/s.
EXTERNAL HARD DISK TO STORE YOUR PHOTOS
You will realize after a while that memory cards are not enough to keep all your photos, so an external hard disk can be your best friend and one of your best travel accessories.
There are plenty of options to choose from, but there are a few which are known for their quality and for being travel friendly.
- It is easy to carry around, as it can easily fit in your pocket.
- It is very secure, having the option to include a protection password to protect your files.
- Offers good read-write speeds, which is ideal to transfer large files high-resolution images, and 4k videos.
- It offers 2TB of storage.
- It is compatible with both mac and windows.
- Good price-quality relation, as this is one of the cheapest external hard drives per terabyte you can buy.
- All-terrain uses an external hard drive resistant to different atmospheric conditions.
- It uses USB 3.0 which makes it four times faster than USB 2.0, a very important feature if you are transferring many images as videos.
- You get a 1-month free Adobe Creative Cloud membership, which is great if you want to edit your pictures and videos afterward.
FAST PRIME LENSES
When someone talks about fast prime lenses, they are talking about the maximum aperture available on them – the bigger the apertures are the faster the lens will be. In other words, fast lenses are able to deliver faster shutter speeds.
Faster lenses are, in this way, great for taking high-quality pictures even if you do not have a tripod and are surely one of the best photography accessories you can own.
As fast lenses have a maximum wide aperture they will capture more light, meaning you can get amazing sharp photos without noise even if there is not a lot of light available.
Although there are many lenses available and depending on your photography path there may be more indicated ones, there are a few of them every photographer should own, and which can be considered one of the must-have camera accessories.
- It has FLD and SLD glass elements which help to reduce distortion and axial chromatic aberration and lateral chromatic aberration.
- Offer class-leading performance, which is perfect for landscape photography, astrophotography, and low-light photography.
- Optical design made to deliver high-quality photos.
- It has a silent wave motor – provides internal focus which makes it possible to have a quiet and fast auto-focusing without the need to change the length of the lens.
- Ideal for both macro photography and close-up photography.
- It is an aspherical lens (curved surface) which is perfect to correct distortion.
- Compact and lightweight – good for traveling.
- It has an STM – Stepping motor which makes it possible to deliver continuous move Servo AF for videos and smooth AF for still photography.
- It offers an angle of view in horizontal, vertical, and diagonal.
TRIPOD FOR STABILIZED SHOTS
A tripod is one of the most important camera accessories you could ever own. There are plenty of situations when you will notice you do actually need a tripod if you want to obtain high-quality photos.
A tripod allows you to use a long exposure, which translates into faster shutter speed. By using a tripod your photos will not look shaky, and it is also essential while shooting at night due to the lack of light that is available.
You can be sure a tripod is one of the main travel photography gears.
- Portable and light – perfect for carrying it in your bag during long distances.
- It provides stability in all superficies including uneven terrain.
- It has universal stainless steel built– secure for every type of camera.
- Enables you to switch from photo to video in one second.
- It offers a unique adaptor for higher-specification cameras.
- It is made of aluminum – high-quality material – making it perfect to endure rush conditions.
- The best feature of this tripod is that it offers adjustable height.
- Has a 3-way head that allows taking landscape or portrait photos.
- Lightweight – easy to carry around.
REMOTE SHUTTER RELEASE
Taking shaky pictures is one of the main worries photographers have. This way, remote shutter releases can be one of the best camera accessories you can get.
In order to take high-quality pictures, there can be no camera shake, and that is where this simple camera accessory, so many times forgotten, can be very important.
- It has a programmable self-timer, which goes from 1 sec to 99h, 99m, 99sec.
- It displays an illuminated LCD panel which is perfect to use during nighttime.
- It offers an anti-shaking function to help deliver clear photos.
- Has a wireless system that works up to 80m.
- Has four shutter release modes – single shot, continues, BULB, and 4s delay.
- It is portable and has a very attractive price.
- It can avoid interference caused by other devices.
- You can set delay timer, exposure time, interval time, repeat shooting interval time, repeat times, and select the number of shots you want.
- It offers both wireless and wired options.
A power bank is an important travel photography gear that is many times forgotten. If you’re always traveling, having a power bank with you can be a lifesaver in many situations when the power of your camera is running low, for instance when you’re in the middle of nowhere.
Power banks can be considered one of the most crucial and cool accessories to have in your kit.
- It offers wireless charging for all Qi-Enabled devices.
- It has a 30,800mAh high capacity – it can charge up to eight times an iPhone 12.
- It has a fast power bank recharge system – you can recharge your power bank in 3.5h.
- It is portable and perfect for traveling weighing just 218g.
- It offers 99% compatibility with smartphones.
- You get two power banks which means you can charge completely 4 smartphones.
- It can charge multiple devices at the same time.
- It offers 24 months warranty
- It is flight safe.
UV AND ND FILTERS
UV and ND filters are one of the must-have camera accessories, especially because they exist to protect your expensive lens.
UV filters can protect your lens against dust, fingertips, and even scratches, while ND filters exist to help to shoot long exposure images, in bright light without having overexposing.
ND filters are also a cool camera accessory because it enables the photographer to capture creative in-camera effects.
- Offers three types of filters: Ultraviolet, Neutral Density, and Fluorescent.
- It is compatible with all 55mm lenses.
- The filter rings are high-quality metal.
- The filters are double-threaded which means it is possible to use more than one filter simultaneously.
- Offers UV/ND and CPL (helps to remove reflections from non-metallic surfaces) filters.
- It comes with a MagicFiber Premium Microfiber Cleaning Cloth for you to clean your filters without scratching them.
- It is perfect for landscape photography – the CPL filter helps to purify the picture.
- It is easy to clip on and off the filters.
- It offers ND filters with four different intensities.
A camera backpack is another must-have camera accessory that gives you more freedom of choice. It’s essential that you buy a camera backpack, especially if you are a travel and landscape photographer.
Backpacks are good because they protect your camera and lenses, they have enough space to keep all other accessories you may need, and help to spread the weight, which your back will surely appreciate.
If you have a DSLR which usually is heavier, buying a comfortable and cool DSLR accessory as a camera backpack can be very important.
- It’s waterproof – includes a rain cover.
- You can customize the space in the backpack due to its removable dividers – which can adapt to the different accessories you are carrying with you.
- The backpack is very stylish and perfect for 1 DSLR camera with 70-200 mm lens attached, plus accessories, it’s considered a cool DSRL accessory.
- It offers loads of space to fit your camera and all the accessories.
- It’s made of high-quality material – can carry up to 50kg.
- It offers a one-year warranty.
- It offers a detachable laptop compartment.
- It is a shock-proof backpack.
- The backpack offers good back support, and it was designed to increase airflow.
EXTRA CAMERA BATTERIES
Although it seems obvious, it’s really easy to forget to bring some extra batteries with you. It’s such a simple and cheap object, but it is probably one of the must-have accessories you should have with you, so make sure you do not forget to purchase them when you purchase your camera.
As you can see there are plenty of accessories for your camera available out there and which can be really useful if you want to be a professional photographer and take high-quality photos.
There is a couple of them which are must-have camera accessories because they will make all the difference when you are shooting as lenses, tripods, memory cards, and so on.
However, it may not be possible to buy every camera accessory at once, so make sure you set your priorities and choose which travel photography gear is the most important for you.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll be happy to help!