The hardest, the longest, but the most rewarding hike in Hpa An Myanmar is the famous Mount Zwegabin hike!
I have put together this complete guide to hiking Zwegabin to help you plan your adventure ahead of time!
WHERE IS ZWEKABIN MOUNTAIN?
Mount Zwegabin is located 10km south-east of Hpa An city center.
HOW TO GET THERE
There are two ways to get to Mt Zwegabin which I have listed below:
If you are renting a scooter/motorbike in Hpa An, it is a short 15-minute drive from the city center to the base of Zwekabin Mountain. You will be able to rent a scooter from your accommodation for approximately 6,000 – 10,000 Kyat per day.
The second option is by taxi. If you plan to hike to the summit for sunrise, it’s best to organize a taxi the day before to pick you up from your accommodation at around 3:30 am.
The cost of a 15-minute taxi ride should be no more than 5,000 Kyat one way.
Find All → Hotels in Hpa An
Viewpoint at the top
An aerial perspective
Have you got travel insurance for Myanmar? We all know accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance will save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
I arrived at the base of the mountain at 4:30 am, parked my scooter, and paid the 4,000 Kyat entrance fee to a monk at the beginning of the hike. He wrote me a ticket and I was on my way.
There was no easing into the hike, especially at 4:30 in the morning. There are concrete stairs that zigzag steeply all the way to the summit of Mount Zwekabin.
The majority of the hike is dimly lit with hanging lights and safety railings are in place where needed. I would recommend packing a torch to aid you in the darker areas along the trail.
It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes from the bottom to reach the top. This was with around three or four short breaks to sip on some water and catch my breath.
I arrived at the summit at 5:45 am with 30-minutes to spare before sunrise. However, I would recommend allowing 2-hours for the average person to hike to the top of Zwekabin Mountain.
A memorable sunrise
There are two epic viewpoints not to be missed at the summit and they are;
When you arrive at the Mount Zwegabin Monastery (gold pagoda) take a left-hand turn down the concrete stairs towards another pagoda below, but at about halfway down there is a dirt trail leading off to the right and this will take you to a rocky hillside with insane views facing east where you’ll find the best spot to watch the sunrise. See the images above for reference!
The second best viewpoint is on the opposite side of the mountain, only a 5-minute walk from the sunrise viewpoint. Look for the toilet block on the right-hand side of the Mount Zwegabin Monastery and you can actually climb on the roof for incredible west-facing views of Hpa An. See the images below for reference!
WHERE TO STAY IN HPA AN
Hpa An has dozens of accommodations to choose from, so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay in Hpa-An to suit the needs of luxury travelers, budget backpackers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: Keinnara Lodge Hpa An
Mid Range: Hotel United Hpa An
Budget: Galaxy Motel Hpa An
FOR ALL OTHER PLACES TO STAY IN HPA AN, SEARCH ON AGODA OR SEARCH ON BOOKING.COM
WHAT TO PACK FOR MYANMAR
When visiting Myanmar, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Myanmar sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – the most compact and lightweight towel for traveling.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Backpack – The Nomatic 30L Travel Pack is the ultimate backpack for everyday adventures.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
BEST MYANMAR TOURS
MORE MYANMAR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Myanmar Guide: 2 Week Myanmar Itinerary
- Bagan Guide: 5 Things To Do In Bagan
- Mandalay Guide: 10 Things To Do In Mandalay
- Inle Lake Guide: 5 Things To Do In Inle Lake
- Hpa An Guide: 5 Things To Do In Hpa An
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
If you have any questions about hiking Mount Zwekabin, please leave me a comment below this post and I will reply as soon as I can. For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.
PIN IT FOR LATER