Hiking to the top of Hpan Pu Mountain (Pha Bhu Taung Pagoda) for sunset was a welcoming adventure at the beginning of my three days spent in Hpa-An Myanmar!
The short hike up Mount Hpan Pu is more rewarding than expected with speechless views of the incredible landscapes in Hpa-An.
I have put together this complete guide to hiking Mount Hpan Pu so you can plan your adventure ahead of time!
WHERE IS HPAN PU MOUNTAIN?
Hpan Pu Mountain (Pha Bhu Taung Pagoda) is located across the Thanlyin River, northwest of Hpa-An town.
HOW TO GET HERE
There are two ways to get over the river to hike Mt Hpan Pu which I have listed below:
If you plan on renting a motorbike during your visit to Hpa-An, you can simply drive across the bridge on road 85 and take a right-hand turn onto the road that runs parallel with the river.
There is a sandy parking lot at the base of the mountain to park your motorbike and you’ll see a concrete stairway leading up the side of the mountain. The drive from Hpa-An to Hpan Pu is approximately 20-minutes.
You will be able to rent a scooter from your accommodation for approximately 6,000 – 10,000 Kyat per day.
Taking a boat across the Thanlyin River is the second option to reach Mt Hpan Pu.
Head down to Shwe Yin Myaw Pagoda, which is a short walk from the center of town and you will be able to jump on board a local boat for 500 Kyat.
The boat will drop you off at the riverbank on the other side and it is a few hundred meters walk to the base of the mountain.
Note: The boats stop running across the river at nightfall so you will need to coordinate with the boat driver if he will be able to wait for you or not to take you back across the river to Hpa-An after hiking Mt Hpan Pu at sunset.
Must Read → 2 Week Myanmar Itinerary
Stairs on the way up
Halfway to the summit
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE HIKE
Hiking to the top of Mount Hpan Pu for sunset on my first day in Hpa-An was one of the best experiences I had in Myanmar! The short 20 to 30-minute hike is steep, sweaty, and thirsty work but more than rewarding once I reached the summit!
On the trail to the top, you can expect overgrown shrubs, loose gravel, sharp rocks, and bamboo ladders, so your full attention is recommended during the hike so as to not have any slips.
At the summit is the Pha Bhu Taung Pagoda, offering 360-degree views of Hpa-An, the Thanlyin River, and distant mountain ranges.
Find All → Hotels in Hpa An
A memorable sunset
The awe-inspiring views of the incredible landscapes in the region had me jaw-dropped and smiling from ear to ear. The fiery sunset on this day was the icing on the cake!
I recommend having at least 2 liters of drinking water for the Mount Hpan Pu hike as the humidity is quite intense. Believe me, it was thirsty work getting to the summit and back.
If you are hiking Mt Hpan Pu at sunset, you may want to pack a torch or phone light to aid you on the way back down the trail as it gets dark very quickly.
Panoramic views at the summit
WHERE TO STAY IN HPA AN
Hpa An has dozens of accommodations to choose from, so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay in Hpa-An to suit the needs of luxury travelers, budget backpackers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: Keinnara Lodge Hpa An
Mid Range: Hotel United Hpa An
Budget: Galaxy Motel Hpa An
FOR ALL OTHER PLACES TO STAY IN HPA AN, SEARCH ON AGODA OR SEARCH ON BOOKING.COM
WHAT TO PACK FOR MYANMAR
When visiting Myanmar, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Myanmar sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – the most compact and lightweight towel for traveling.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Backpack – The Nomatic 30L Travel Pack is the ultimate backpack for everyday adventures.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
BEST MYANMAR TOURS
MORE MYANMAR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Myanmar Guide: 2 Week Myanmar Itinerary
- Bagan Guide: 5 Things To Do In Bagan
- Mandalay Guide: 10 Things To Do In Mandalay
- Inle Lake Guide: 5 Things To Do In Inle Lake
- Hpa An Guide: 5 Things To Do In Hpa An
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
If you have any questions about hiking Hpan Pu Mountain please leave me a comment below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can. For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.
PIN IT FOR LATER