Harrington Beach is a small but beautiful ocean-side village in New South Wales, located approximately halfway between Port Macquarie and Forster.
Harrington NSW is known for its unique sandbar and stunning beaches which lie at the mouth of the Manning River.
Harrington Beach NSW is not as popular as some of the other beach towns along the east coast of Australia which makes it a bit of an untouched gem and definitely worth checking out. I recommend spending at least one or two nights in the area to explore everything Harrington has to offer.
I have put together this easy guide to Harrington Beach NSW including how to get there, the best things to do, where to stay, and the best time to visit.
WHERE IS HARRINGTON NSW?
Harrington is located approximately a 45-minute drive south of Port Macquarie and a 45-minute drive north of Forster.
HOW TO GET HERE
It’s best to have your own vehicle to visit Harrington Beach NSW as public transportation options are scarce.
Search All → Car Rentals in Port Macquarie
Search All → Car Rentals in Sydney
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Harrington NSW sees glorious sunshine almost all year round.
If you want the best of the best conditions weatherwise, I recommend visiting between May and October (Autumn, Winter, and Spring) which is most ideal for beach bumming, nature walks, and water sports.
Summer is between December and February which sees hot temperatures and rainfall.
Aerial shot of Harrington Beach
Have you got travel insurance for Australia? We all know accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance will save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
3 BEST THINGS TO DO IN HARRINGTON NSW
Please see below for an overview of the 3 best things to do that you will find in this post:
- Explore Harrington Beach & sandbar
- Visit Crowdy Head Beach & lighthouse
- Watch the sunset at Manning River
HARRINGTON BEACH & SANDBAR
First up on this list of best things to do in Harrington NSW is explore the iconic Harrington Beach and sandbar!
It’s quite easy to access Harrington Beach NSW by simply strolling along the break wall which is located in front of the Marine Rescue building on Beach Street.
The sandbar that you’ll find here is EPIC and if you have a drone camera, I highly recommend sending it up to capture some shots of this unique landscape from above.
It takes around 15 minutes to walk to the very tip of the sandbar on Harrington Beach NSW and it’s the perfect spot to lay down a rug, have a picnic, and take a dip in the ocean to cool off.
Harrington Beach NSW
Harrington Beach NSW
CROWDY HEAD BEACH & LIGHTHOUSE
Crowdy Head Beach and lighthouse is a short 5-minute drive north of Harrington and well worth checking out during your visit.
I recommend spending around two or three hours here which is more than enough time to visit the beautiful white sand beach and the lighthouse which is situated on top of the cliffs at Crowdy Head.
Crowdy Head Beach
Crowdy Head lighthouse
Crowdy Head cliffs
SUNSET AT MANNING RIVER
Last but not least on this list of things to do is watching the sunset at Manning River.
Before the day is out, be sure to hang around town to catch an unforgettable sunset at Manning River. There are plenty of grassy areas and park benches around the river’s edge to hang out for the afternoon and enjoy the peaceful serenity.
Another option is to make your way up to Pilot Hill Reserve which boasts extensive views of Harrington Beach, Manning River, and the village.
Sunset at Manning River Harrington NSW
WHERE TO STAY IN HARRINGTON NSW
I personally stayed at Discovery Parks Harrington Beach and can’t recommend this holiday park enough!
Whether you’re traveling in a campervan or looking for a cabin to stay in for a night or two, Discovery Parks has got you covered with plenty of affordable accommodation options to suit all types of visitors.
The park features a swimming pool, activity room, laundry amenities, hot showers and toilets, camp kitchen and BBQs, mini-golf, beach access, free WiFi, and more!
Located right on the shores of Harrington Beach NSW and a stone’s throw from the center of town, the location is simply perfect.
Click here to search availability and rates at Discovery Parks Harrington Beach.
Discovery Parks Harrington Beach
WHAT TO PACK FOR HARRINGTON BEACH
When visiting Harrington Beach, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Australian sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – a must for drying off after a dip in the ocean or lying out on the sand.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Dry bag – protect your gadgets from any water damage while you’re at the beach.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
MORE AUSTRALIA TRAVEL GUIDES
The East Coast of Australia boasts awesome beaches, lakes, waterfalls, hikes, and many more fun-fuelled adventures waiting to be had. This is what Australia is all about and what I aim to share with you in my destination guides.
Click on the links below to see more related posts:
- Hamilton Island: 10 Things To Do In Hamilton Island
- Agnes Water: 17 Things To Do In Agnes Water
- Yeppoon: 10 Best Beaches In Yeppoon
- Brisbane: Things To Do In Brisbane
- Gold Coast: 3 Day Gold Coast Itinerary
- Fraser Island: Fraser Island Day Trip
- Byron Bay: Things To Do In Byron Bay
- Crescent Head: 9 Things To Do In Crescent Head
- Forster: 7 Things To Do In Forster
- Port Macquarie: 7 Best Beaches In Port Macquarie
- Sydney: Things To Do In Sydney
- Kiama NSW: 3 Awesome Things To Do In Kiama
- Melbourne: Things To Do In Melbourne
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions, please leave a comment below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can. For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.