Chalok Baan Kao Bay features one of the biggest and best beaches in Koh Tao which is perfect for an entire day of exploring and beach bumming!
I have put together this complete guide to Chalok Bay including how to get there and what to expect when you arrive.
WHERE IS CHALOK BAAN KAO BAY?
Chalok Bay Koh Tao is a short 10-minute drive from Sairee Beach, the main tourist hub of Koh Tao.
HOW TO GET HERE
The best way to get around Koh Tao is to rent a scooter for 150 Baht per day to explore all four corners of the island. There are dozens of scooter rental stores in and around town, and most accommodations offer scooter rentals too.
Chalok Baan Kao has easy road access and parking spots are available all along the beach.
There are no parking or entrance fees to visit, and it is a stone’s throw from the jump-off point to the beach.
Find All → Hostels & Resorts in Koh Tao
BEST TOURS IN KOH TAO
WHAT TO EXPECT
I visited Chalok Beach Koh Tao at around 4 pm in the afternoon and the long white sand beach was practically empty.
There are a number of beach bars, bean bags, and restaurants along the beach where you can enjoy some afternoon drinks at sunset.
I explored the entire bay from one end to the other, stopping numerous times to take photos of the palm trees and the boats bobbing around in the shallow waters.
RELATED ARTICLE: BEST CAMERA GEAR FOR TRAVEL
Chalok Baan Kao Beach is definitely one of the quieter beaches on the island and with the convenience of food and beverage options right there too.
WHERE TO STAY IN KOH TAO
Koh Tao has hundreds of accommodations to choose from, so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay to suit the needs of budget backpackers, luxury travelers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: Sai Daeng Resort Koh Tao
I personally stayed at Sai Daeng Resort and can’t recommend this place enough! This 4-star accommodation is located right on the beachfront and features an outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and restaurant on the beach, water sports activities, a shared lounge, free wifi, and shuttle service. The rooms are modern and spacious, fitted with air conditioning, flat-screen tv, a fridge and kettle, work desk, private bathroom, and balcony with ocean views. Buffet breakfast is also included for all guests. Perfect place to stay for couples, families, and friends.
Mid Range: Wind Beach Resort
Wind Beach Resort is the best value-pick accommodation located in the main tourist hub, Sairee Beach. Featuring a beachfront bar and restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool, Thai massage services, and free wifi. The rooms are fitted with beautiful wooden furniture and decor, air conditioning, flat-screen tv, minibar, ensuite bathroom, and ocean views. Great place to stay in Koh Tao for couples, friends, and families.
Budget: Koh Tao Central Hostel
Koh Tao Central Hostel is rated one of the best budget accommodations for solo travelers, friends, and couples. Centrally located in Mae Hadd and within walking distance to the beach. There are dormitory-style rooms with air conditioning, free wifi, power sockets, lockers, and privacy curtains on all beds. Also at this hostel is a shared outdoor deck with cushions and a common area for guests to enjoy during their stay.
FOR ALL OTHER PLACES TO STAY IN KOH TAO, SEARCH ON AGODA OR SEARCH ON BOOKING.COM
WHAT TO PACK FOR KOH TAO
When visiting Koh Tao, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Thailand sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – the most compact and lightweight towel for traveling.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Backpack – The Nomatic 30L Travel Pack is the ultimate backpack for everyday adventures.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
MORE THAILAND TRAVEL GUIDES
- Thailand Travel Guide: 3 Week Thailand Itinerary
- Bangkok Travel Guide: 5 Things To Do In Bangkok
- Koh Tao Travel Guide: 15 Things To Do In Koh Tao
- Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 10 Things To Do In Chiang Mai
- Pai Travel Guide: 10 Things To Do In Pai
- Krabi Travel Guide: 5 Best Beaches in Krabi
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
If you have any questions at all about this awesome beach on Koh Tao, please drop me a line below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can. For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.
PIN IT FOR LATER