Broken Head Byron Bay has some of the most secluded and most beautiful beaches in the Northern New South Wales region.
If Main Beach in Byron Bay is too crowded for you then I recommend heading south to discover the magic of these almost untouched beaches!
I have put together this complete guide to Broken Head including how to get there and what to expect when you arrive.
WHERE IS BROKEN HEAD?
Broken Head Beach is located a short 10-minute drive south of the central tourist hub of Byron Bay.
HOW TO GET HERE
Getting around Byron Bay and visiting all the spots is best done by car or bicycle. Public buses are limited and taxi services are overpriced.
You will find that quite a lot of people hitchhike in Byron so why not give that a go if you’re up for it!
Search All → Car Rentals in Byron Bay
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit is in the summer months which are December to February. However, this is also peak season nationwide for most beach locations like this so do take this into account when booking accommodation.
If you want to avoid the crowds, you can visit after the summer anywhere between March to June and you will be surprised how much sunshine this region of Australia receives, almost year-round in fact.
Broken Head Beach
Have you got travel insurance for Australia? We all know accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance will save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
THINGS TO DO IN BROKEN HEAD
Surfing the beach breaks is a great way to start the day. Being out in the ocean at Broken Head Beach will have you gawping at the epic surroundings of cliffs and small rocky islands that give this place its name.
You can explore the winding walking trail that leads you up and over the headland which is surrounded by lush rainforest.
This track will lead you to a number of smaller almost unknown isolated beaches and coves. You won’t find these spots in any glossy travel guide and I guarantee you will be blown away at the sight of these little pockets of paradise.
Apart from exploring the headland and taking photos of the landscapes from the hilltop, the best thing to do at Broken Head is to take a dip in the ocean and cool off.
WHERE TO STAY IN BYRON
Broken Head is best visited as a day trip from Byron Bay. There are countless accommodation options to choose from in Byron Bay so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay to fit the needs of budget backpackers, luxury travelers, and everyone in between.
See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: The Watermark
Mid Range: Glen Villa Resort
Budget: Nomads Backpackers
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST
The coastline and hinterland areas between Byron Bay and the Gold Coast boast awesome beaches, lakes, waterfalls, hikes, and many more fun-fuelled adventures waiting to be had!
This is what Australia is all about and what I aim to share with you all in these guides.
You may want to see my other related posts near Killen Falls in the Northern NSW region:
Wategos Beach Byron Bay
WHAT TO PACK FOR BYRON BAY
When visiting Byron Bay, here is a list of items I highly recommend bringing with you;
- Sunscreen – the Australian sun is very strong, so make sure to pack some high-quality sunscreen.
- Quick-dry travel towel – a must for drying off after a dip in the ocean or lying out on the sand.
- Reusable water bottle – stay hydrated by bringing along a reusable water bottle.
- Dry bag – protect your gadgets from any water damage while you’re at the beach.
If you’re interested in taking awesome photos and videos on your travels, this is the camera gear that I use and recommend;
- GoPro HERO10 – the most popular camera on the planet for action-packed adventures.
- Canon EOS R – perfect for traveling, this is the most affordable, compact camera on the market.
- DJI Mini 3 Pro – take your photos and videos to new heights with this user-friendly drone camera.
BEST BYRON BAY TOURS
MORE AUSTRALIA TRAVEL GUIDES
Click on the links below to see more related posts:
- Hamilton Island: 10 Things To Do In Hamilton Island
- Agnes Water: 17 Things To Do In Agnes Water
- Yeppoon: 10 Best Beaches In Yeppoon
- Brisbane: Things To Do In Brisbane
- Gold Coast: 3 Day Gold Coast Itinerary
- Fraser Island: Fraser Island Day Trip
- Springbrook: Springbrook Waterfalls
- Byron Bay: Things To Do In Byron Bay
- Crescent Head: 9 Things To Do In Crescent Head
- Forster: 7 Things To Do In Forster
- Port Macquarie: 7 Best Beaches In Port Macquarie
- Sydney: Things To Do In Sydney
- Kiama NSW: 3 Awesome Things To Do In Kiama
- Melbourne: Things To Do In Melbourne
TRAVEL RESOURCES FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or it’s your first trip overseas, here are some useful travel resources to help you kick-start your next adventure!
- BOOKING.COM – search and book accommodation worldwide
- SKYSCANNER – compare and book cheap flights to anywhere
- VIATOR – find tickets, tours, and experiences around the world
- BOOKAWAY – book buses, trains, and transfers online in advance
- RENTAL CARS – search all rental cars in your next destination
- GROUP TRIPS – join one of my epic small group trips
- TRAVEL INSURANCE – purchase World Nomads travel insurance
- TRAVEL MONEY CARD – get a Wise card today for free
Looking for more? Check out my Travel Resources page for further help with your trip planning!
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions about Broken Head Byron Bay, please leave a comment below this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
For a quicker response, be sure to join Jonny Melon’s Travel Tribe on Facebook and post your questions or recommendations to our awesome community.
THANKS FOR READING
Hey friend, thanks for reading this guide!
Please know this post may contain affiliate links. When making a purchase through one of my links, I earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running. Rest assured, I only promote products and services that I personally use and recommend.